Tuesday, February 24, 2009

UGM

Last night we were at the UGM and we served about 300 people over a course of an hour and a half. It was interesting to see the all the different people, women, children, teens, and some looked like they were middle class folk who you would expect to see. Needless to say it feels good to be able to serve within our community. I believe that this is how God intended for us to be helping the poor. That you go out there and give of your time and money to organizations like the UGM.

Afterwards we went to Lindamans to enjoy the rest of the evening with food and conversation. I enjoy these times not just because you guys are fun to hang out with but we have a common bond that allows us to encourage, and learn about our faith. Now only if we can get Nathan to be quite so others can get a word in ;) Jessica thanks for reminding me of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTYr3JuueF4

For those of you who were unable to make it you missed out, but don't worry we'll have other opportunities for you to enjoy serving. We are planning a few things and will be serving at the UGM again.

I asked one of my co-workers for a place with good dessert and he suggest Lindamans. He then asked why and I told him what we were serving at the UGM and wanted to go somewhere afterwards. His next comment struck me "so the food/dessert at the UGM isn't good enough for you huh?" Even though he said this jokingly, because he proceeded to talk about socialism. I didn't feel guilty about going when he asked nor did I while I was eating my coconut cream pie (which was amazing). Nevertheless I felt I should write about this.

God gives and takes away, he blesses some financially and not others. I am thankful that Mandy and I are blessed in this way and not dependant on handouts. The calling for us who have is to give generously.

I Timothy 6:17-19

17Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Paul is talking to about the rich and you might be thinking I'm not rich. We'll I would have to disagree if you own your own car, have an education and a job, you don't worry about where your next meal is coming from, if you have shelter. Want more... :D one of my favorite subjects - economics. There is a theory/method of measure called PPP (purchase power parity), this is used to measure the ability of a country to buy goods and services around the world. This measure is based on the US dollar and takes into consideration inflation and cost of living. If you look at a PPP per capita, pink is the highest being over $38,000 per capita the US and a couple of European countries are in this catagory as of 2007. There are other agencies that do these reports as well, this one being from World Bank, others include the IMF and the US does one as well I believe it is the CIA. We are rich and being that we are, we are to give generously.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is the video about the "Mom Wisdom" a 3 minute skit about the day of a typical mom ---true and funny.

http://www.tangle.com/?gclid=CPnu6-Hy9pgCFSMSagodViRHmg

Henry Yan said...

That was great

For anyone else search for "moms wisdom"

Thanks Jessica.