Monday, February 9, 2009

Spiritual Gifts

2/8/09

A few of us showing off our gifts and talents. It is great that we can laugh and play and enjoy the each others company.

In the years that I've been involved with youth groups grudgingly took several spiritual gift tests. Never could put my finger on why it I didn't care for them until now. I realized that the question isn't what is your spiritual gift but what are you doing?

I couldn't find a single passage where Paul, Timothy, Mary or any other person took a spiritual gift test I think it is safe to assume they just did what they were suppose to and did it with joy. In doing ministry they found their place within the church. I'm not saying don't figure it out, just don't spend all your time pondering and wondering. Knowing your gift can help you hone in on those skills but I would rather focus on how you can be a part of the church. As you go out and participate in a ministry God will reveal to you your gifts and you may not even know it until someone points it out.

If you think about it what is the difference between a non-believers gifts (talents or abilities) and that of a believers? The Bible lists several gifts: teaching, administration, service, etc. We'll look at these three to make it simple but still convey my point. In each of these areas I know some people excel in these areas, believers and non-believers alike. I don't think I need to persuede you of that. The difference is stated in Romans 12:3-8, Romans 1:11-12, and I Peter 4:10-11 we have to remember that it is by grace that we are given these gifts and to be used to further someones faith.

Non-believers boast about their skills and abilities and even flaunt it as if them being smart, tall, strong, fast, witty was something they did. As believers we should remember that whatever gift we have it is by God's grace that we have them so that no one can boast. Romans 13:3-8 Paul makes it clear our gifts is a gift and by grace given to us. When we do something great it isn't us it is God that gets the glory. The second part is we need to use them to further the faith, Romans 1:11-12, we need to be using our gifts to spur each other on in our faith.

We are not limited to just one gift nor are we to limit ourselves in ministry with our gifts. We are commanded to do pray, give, serve, make disciples, even though there are people that are gifted in these areas. There are prayer warriors that I know who love to pray and that is their gift but they are not limited to just praying, they've served in small groups teaching, going on short term missions, giving to the church, meeting with younger believers and discipling them.

I don't care if you take spiritual gift tests and you may think they are fun and that is fine. But when you are asked what your spiritual gifts are and you don't know don't feel bad, tell them the things you are doing in the church. There are many parts to the body and there is a job for each member (I Corinthians 12:4-6, 20-31, Romans 12:4-5) so go out there and find how you may serve the Lord.

0 comments: