Thursday, January 22, 2009

Money

How God wants us to view money and what to do with it.

Money isn't evil nor is it a sin to have a lot of it, what becomes the issue is what we do with the money. If handled wrong it can divide marriages (one of the top reasons for divorce is financial problems), friendships, families, it can destroy your testimony or character, and can become an idol.

The main point to take away from this is to have a Godly attitude towards money.
-God calls us to be generous with our money - I Timothy 6:17-18
-Remember that God provides - Matthew 6:25
-Be diligent with what God gives you

Matthew 6 does tell us that God provides but that should be used flippantly. God does provide for our needs and during years of plenty we are to store up (Genesis 41:49 Joseph stored up grain for seven years). Practically God gives and takes away, while we have be diligent with your money by creating a budget, emergency fund (Proverbs 6:6-8), and save for retirement. As you save and build wealth also be generous in your giving. Yeah I Timothy 6:17-18 does refer to the rich but as I looked around I realized how rich we are, my closet is overflowing with clothes even after I got rid of several bags full, our fridge is stocked with food, we can go out to eat if we wanted, we have cars that run…yeah we are rich. Giving is an act of worship that requires love, I Corinthians 13 tells us that we could give everything away but without love it is nothing. Being generous also reminds us that the money we have does not belong to us but to the ONE who gave it to us (and to be clear that ONE is GOD).

0 comments: